The x500 IoT gateway is the hardware component which enables you to remotely access your PLCs, HMIs and other devices.
This article shows you how to set up your x500 IoT gateway. After your x500 IoT gateway is set up you will be able to access and manage your x500 IoT gateway on X4 remote.
The steps to follow in order to set up your x500 IoT gateway are:
Create a configuration file
First step is to create a configuration file on X4 remote that will tell the x500 IoT gateway to what company it belongs and how it’s connected. Most input fields will be pre-filled, based on standard use cases, so for most users, all the fields can be left untouched. The next steps show you how to create a configuration file.
- Go to [Tools] in the main menu and press [Start configuration].
- Select your connection type and click [Next]
- After choosing the connection type, you can generally leave the default DHCP settings and press [Next]. If you need to set a static IP address, you can do so by pressing the respective entry. View our static WAN IP address-article for more information.
- Next you’ll enter a unique IP address for your x500 IoT gateway and press [Next]. This needs to share the subnet of your PLC/HMI but cannot match their IP address!
- Press [Next] to finish your configuration file.
- Press [Download] and place the file in the root directory of the USB flash drive, not in a folder.
Register your x500 IoT gateway
Once the configuration file is placed on a USB flash drive, you can start registering your x500 IoT gateway. The next steps show how to register your x500 IoT gateway.
- Connect your x500 IoT gateway to the internet.
- Wired connection: Connect the “internet” port on the x500 IoT gateway to your company network.
- Wireless connection: Make sure to be in range of the Wi-Fi’s access point.
- 4G connection: Make sure the SIM card is properly inserted and in range of the cellular network
- Power on your x500 IoT gateway using a 12-24 VDC power supply.
- Insert the USB flash drive containing the configuration file into the x500 IoT gateway’s USB port.
- Wait around 2 minutes for the x500 IoT gateway to configure and register itself.
Once your x500 IoT gateway shows a constant blue light it’s registered on X4 remote.
Activate your x500 IoT gateway
After a successful registration of your x500 IoT gateway a yellow bar will pop up in the [Devices] page. The next steps show how to activate your x500 IoT gateway.
- Go to [Devices] in the main menu. You will find a yellow bar at the top in your device list stating “New device”.
- Press the yellow bar, select [Activate], and name your device as you see fit.